CAMEMBERT! Why have I never eaten this cheese before? It is insanely good, and perfect for this grilled cheese with crispy bacon, thin apple slices, fresh thyme and a drizzle of honey. I’m still smiling just thinking about it. In limited experience, this cheese seems to be a lot like brie, but a little creamier and slightly more pungent. The softness makes it really easy to spread, which is great for this recipe. This fancy camembert grilled cheese was just what I needed to get me going on this rainy, dreary day.
I was super hungry making this lunch, so I wanted to save myself some time. I remembered getting pretty decent results cooking bacon in the oven back in college, and I quickly tracked down this baked bacon recipe on Well Plated by Erin. So easy, and so delicious. Set your oven to 400 degrees and cook the bacon over a rack set inside a sheet pan until it is nice and crispy and done to your liking. That is it!
My husband truly makes the best bacon I have ever had in my life, so I hardly ever touch it. Cooking perfect bacon takes some serious patience. His is endless, and mine is basically not a thing. Dylan’s slow fried bacon still wins, but I was really impressed with the results of this method, especially since the cooking process is essentially effortless. It is also a lot healthier to leave all that excess grease behind! I honestly don’t think I’ll ever fry bacon again. I used two slices of bacon on this sandwich, but you could easily cut that to one if you wanted to cut some calories. Your grilled cheese will still be delicious!
I tend to want a ton of cheese on just about anything I am eating, but this cheese is VERY rich so keep that in mind when making your sandwiches. The apple slices and honey add a good amount of sweetness to balance out the intense cheese and salty bacon. This grilled cheese is over the top. I hope you enjoy. Post in the comments if you have a favorite fancy grilled cheese combo. I’d love to get some new ideas 🙂
Inspired by Half Baked Harvest’s French Onion and Apple Grilled Cheese.Print
Camembert Grilled Cheese with Apple, Bacon & Thyme
- Total Time: 25
- Yield: 1 1x
Golden, crusty grilled cheese filled with melted camembert, crispy bacon, thinly sliced apples, and a drizzle of honey.
- 2 slices of bread, preferably french or sourdough
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 package of camembert cheese
- 2 slices uncured applewood smoked bacon
- 8 thin slices of honeycrisp apple
- drizzle of honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Allow butter and camembert to soften at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Place bacon on an ovenproof rack set inside a sheet pan and cook in 400 degree oven for about 18 minutes. Start checking every few minutes around the 10 minute mark.
- Mix butter and fresh thyme together with fork until well combined.
- Cover one side of each slice of bread with herb butter.
- On the non-buttered side of each piece of bread, spread a layer of camembert cheese. Add a very light drizzle of honey on one side.
- Add a layer of very thin apple slices to each piece of bread.
- Add bacon slices in the center and assemble the sandwich by combining each half.
- Cook the grilled cheese butter side down in a cast iron skillet over medium low heat for several minutes per side and until golden brown. Cut in half and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 5
- Category: Sandwiches
Keywords: camembert grilled cheese