Fall is in full swing here in Asheville, and the mountains are absolutely beautiful this time of year! I’m really looking forward to getting out for a hike this weekend. Like many people who love this season, I am currently enjoying all things spiced and cozy! To keep with that theme, I decided to create this homemade chai latte today. It is just perfect for cozying up outside and enjoying the fall weather and changing leaves.
I’ve been trying to drink a little less coffee these days, and I’ve been ordering chai lattes more and more when we hit our favorite coffee spots. It is always fun to go out for a drink, but there is no reason you shouldn’t be enjoying a chai latte every now and then at the house. I thought it would be nice to mix up a bigger batch of the spice blend to have some on hand for whenever you feel like a creamy cup of chai tea. You can adjust the amount of spice blend you make depending on how many of these you plan to drink. Just be sure to keep the ratio consistent. This recipe will make enough to have on hand for 18 lattes. I picked up this Tazo brand from Whole Foods, but any brand of chai tea will do. They also have a decaf option which is great for the evening or when you want to limit your caffeine.
Frothing the Milk for a Latte
I use my espresso machine to froth the milk for this latte, but you can also pick up this milk frother for $20 at amazon. It will pay for itself after just a few homemade lattes, and I think it would be a nice inspiration for getting more creative with your morning drink of choice. Of course, you can always use a good old fashioned whisk! Heat your milk over medium heat on the stove until it is steaming, turn off your burner and whisk vigorously until it is nice and frothy, then add to your tea.
I hope you enjoy this drink! Let me know if you have ideas for other coffee alternatives! Thanks for reading 🙂Print
A cozy cup of hot black tea steeped with the perfect blend of spices. This chai latte is sweetened with honey and vanilla, and topped with frothed milk and cinnamon. A sweet, spiced tea perfect for sipping in the cooler weather.
The Spice Blend (makes enough for 18 lattes)
- 1.5 teaspoons allspice
- 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 chai tea bag
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon of the spice blend you made above
- 1/2 cup whole milk, frothed
- In a small bowl or container, whisk together the allspice, cinnamon, ground ginger, and cardamom. You will use 1/4 teaspoon for each latte you make, so save the extra in an airtight container to use the next time around!
- Add 1/2 cup boiling water to a mug with one chai tea bag, and allow to steep according to package directions (mine takes 5 minutes).
- Add the vanilla, honey, and 1/4 teaspoon of your spice mixture to the brewed tea.
- Froth 1/2 cup of milk and pour slowly into your mug with your tea.
- Garnish with a dash of cinnamon if you like and enjoy while hot!
- Feel free to use a lower fat milk to save on calories!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 5
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Steep
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chai, latte, tea