Thank God I married Dylan. If I hadn’t, there is a good chance I would be eating chocolate ice cream in my bathtub every night. I like to think our little family eats relatively healthy, but every now and then I will get on a cheesy pasta every day plus dessert every night kick. I silently ignore the slowly mounting guilt until eventually Dylan suggests we eat something a little healthier for dinner. This salad is the answer to that.
This pear, gorgonzola and walnut salad is healthy, delicious and perfect for summer! It is also really easy to put together. The sweetness of the homemade orange vinaigrette pairs nicely with the bitter frisée, and the gorgonzola makes for the perfect bite. I always try to use more than one type of green in my salad when I can, and these two are a perfect pair. Using different greens adds an extra dimension and flavor and makes it feel a little more special than your ordinary make at home salad.
I highly recommend making your own vinaigrettes and dressings when you have the time. They are ready in minutes, and it can be really fun to play around with different oils and vinegars or citruses. Plus, you can season them to your own taste. I think a homemade dressing really makes for a brighter and more fresh tasting salad, and you can always use what you have leftover for the next several days.
I hope you enjoy this delicious summer salad! It has quickly become one of my family’s favorites. Post in the comments your favorite summer salad. I think this will be a new go to for my summer get togethers.
Oh, and here is me trying to get a photo of my ingredients beforehand and my toddler running off with my orange.
He snuck right up there when I was trying to take the pic. Little, adorable, grimy fingers.
Inspired by Ina Garten’s Endive, Pear, and Roquefort Salad.Print
Pear, Gorgonzola and Walnut Salad
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
Boston butter lettuce and frisée salad with pear, gorgonzola, walnuts, and a sweet orange vinaigrette.
For the Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon champagne vinegar (ok to use white wine vinegar)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Salad
- 1 large head of Boston butter lettuce
- 1/2 head of frisée lettuce
- 1/2 cup gorgonzola crumbles
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/2 pear medium diced
- Toast the walnuts for 5-7 minutes in a dry pan over low heat on stovetop or in 300 degree oven on a sheet pan.
- Core pear, and dice 1/2 of it with skin on (medium dice).
- Prepare the vinaigrette:
- Zest and juice orange(s).
- Combine orange juice, zest, champagne vinegar, canola oil and honey in small glass jar. Shake vigorously until well combined
- Add salt and pepper to taste (for this dressing I used a small pinch of pepper and even less salt)
- Prepare the salad in a large bowl.
- Wash and completely dry butter lettuce and frisée using a salad spinner.
- Tear or cut the greens into bite size pieces & discard harder pieces.
- Add walnuts, gorgonzola crumbles, and diced pear.
- Toss salad with vinaigrette.
- Shake the vinaigrette once more to ensure it is well combined. Add a little vinaigrette at a time and toss with your hands until it is dressed to taste (I used about 3 tablespoons of dressing).
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Salads
- Method: Tossed
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pear, gorgonzola, orange vinaigrette, boston butter, frisée
This is indeed the perfect summer salad! And the grimy hands add to the family touch
Thanks! He is always taking off with my props ????
This looks delicious! And would be perfect with the Shrimp Scampi Pasta, we will try both this week, thank you for posting your delightful kitchen creations!
Thank you! Let me know how it turns out ????
This salad is beautiful and tastes so good! I have never reached for a pear in my salad but my family enjoyed this. Definitely a do over for us. I also enjoy the links to the products, often I start a recipe and wish I had a certain tool. Have you considered adding your favorite brands of the ingredients too?
So glad you enjoyed it! Good idea! I’ll start adding my favorite ingredients soon ????