Boston butter lettuce and frisée salad with pear, gorgonzola, walnuts, and a sweet orange vinaigrette.
For the Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon champagne vinegar (ok to use white wine vinegar)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Salad
- 1 large head of Boston butter lettuce
- 1/2 head of frisée lettuce
- 1/2 cup gorgonzola crumbles
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/2 pear medium diced
- Toast the walnuts for 5-7 minutes in a dry pan over low heat on stovetop or in 300 degree oven on a sheet pan.
- Core pear, and dice 1/2 of it with skin on (medium dice).
- Prepare the vinaigrette:
- Zest and juice orange(s).
- Combine orange juice, zest, champagne vinegar, canola oil and honey in small glass jar. Shake vigorously until well combined
- Add salt and pepper to taste (for this dressing I used a small pinch of pepper and even less salt)
- Prepare the salad in a large bowl.
- Wash and completely dry butter lettuce and frisée using a salad spinner.
- Tear or cut the greens into bite size pieces & discard harder pieces.
- Add walnuts, gorgonzola crumbles, and diced pear.
- Toss salad with vinaigrette.
- Shake the vinaigrette once more to ensure it is well combined. Add a little vinaigrette at a time and toss with your hands until it is dressed to taste (I used about 3 tablespoons of dressing).
- Category: Salads
- Method: Tossed
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pear, gorgonzola, orange vinaigrette, boston butter, frisée