This light and fluffy southern honey cornbread has crisp golden edges and a soft, buttery center. It is perfectly moist and made with honey rather than sugar which lends a subtle sweetness. Being born in North Carolina, I have tried my fair share of cornbreads over the years, and the differences can be pretty drastic. If you are from the South, I’m guessing you have strong opinions about how you like your cornbread! It’s an age old debate. So first things first. I have to ask…
Savory or Sweet?
Which way do you lean? Feel free to tell me all about it in the comments. I honestly really enjoy both. As long as my cornbread isn’t dry, I’m a happy camper. My husband doesn’t like sweet cornbread at all, so I wanted to create a recipe that was somewhere right in the middle. A beautiful balance of savory and sweet makes this southern honey cornbread extra special. Dylan approves!
My dad likes to crumble his up in a glass of milk and eat it with a spoon! I love mine in the morning with over-easy eggs and hot sauce on top. Do you have any fun ways you like to eat your cornbread? I’m always looking for new ideas and love to hear about your family traditions!
I’m working on a really great vegetarian chili right now that will be perfect with this cornbread! I hope to have it posted soon. Y’all have a great week! ????Print
Southern Honey Cornbread
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 9 large slices 1x
Light and fluffy southern cornbread with crisp golden edges and a soft, buttery center. This cornbread is perfectly moist and lightly sweetened with honey rather than sugar. This extra special southern honey cornbread is beautiful balance of savory and sweet!
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk buttermilk
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 large egg, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and grease a 9 x 9 inch square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl (medium sized), whisk together the buttermilk, 2% milk, egg, melted butter, and honey.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until fully combined.
- Pour the cornbread batter into prepared baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes until edges are golden brown and center is cooked through!
- Allow to cool on a wire cooling rack before slicing and serving.
- This cornbread falls somewhere in between savory and sweet. If you want to add some extra sweetness, you can increase the honey or add a tablespoon or more of brown sugar.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Breads
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Southern
Keywords: southern, cornbread, honey
Oh man, I love them savory AND sweet! ???? your dad eats it crumbled up in milk?? Wow haha! This recipe looks bomb.
Haha I guess that’s how they did it in his house growing up! Thanks for checking it out ???? I think you’ll like it!
Yum! Yum! Yum! This cornbread is delicious, just the right amount of sweet. Everyone in my family loved it.
I’m so glad everyone loved it! Try heating it up in the morning with a little honey for the best breakfast ????
Love this cornbread, just sweet and moist enough for my midwestern tastes, and not too sweet for my husband’s southern traditions.
Love this! Glad you enjoyed ????
Pingback: Southern Style Mustard Greens - Tastes Just Like A Memory