Sweet apple cider donuts baked and dunked in a spiced glaze topped with chopped candied walnuts. The perfect treat for a cool fall morning.
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
Prepare the candied walnuts:
- Add the chopped walnuts, butter, and sugar to a nonstick pan and heat over medium heat stirring constantly for 3 to 4 minutes until sugar is melted.
- Once cooled, further chop the walnuts into tiny pieces to sprinkle over the donuts.
Prepare the glaze:
- Whisk the confectioners’ sugar, heavy cream, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom in a small bowl until thoroughly combined.
Prepare the donut batter:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Reduce the apple cider by 1/2 by simmering over medium heat in a pot on the stove until 1/2 cup of liquid remains. Mine took about 10 minutes to reduce.
- Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, salt and lemon zest in a medium bowl.
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, combine the melted butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, buttermilk and vanilla. Once well mixed add the egg on low speed until just combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients with the mixer still set to low until well combined.
- Pour the slightly cooled reduced apple cider into the mixture and mix.
- Spoon your batter into a zip-lock bag, seal, and cut one of the bottom corners of the bag to squeeze the batter through into the pan.
- Grease donut pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- Fill each cavity of the donut pans about half way full and bake for approximately 10 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove donuts while still hot and dunk each side into the glaze. Sprinkle the top with chopped candied walnuts.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- These donuts are fairly sweet. If you want to cut the sweetness, dunk only the top side of the donut into the glaze.
- You could also replace the glaze with a cinnamon sugar coating by dunking each donut in a mixture of melted butter, cinnamon and sugar!
- Category: Donuts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Fall
Keywords: apple cider donuts