This Chicken Parmesan is the absolute best! Parmesan, fresh mozzarella, and provolone make it extra cheesy, and LOTS of fresh basil lends unforgettable flavor. This one is a must-try 🙂
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (~1.5 pounds), halved crosswise and pounded to 1/4 inch thickness
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup tomato sauce, divided (I prefer the Muir Glen brand. I think it makes a huge difference)
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, grated or crumbled into small pieces
- Fresh basil, about 1/2 cup
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Pat the chicken breasts dry and lightly season with kosher salt and black pepper
- In a shallow dish, mix the panko, breadcrumbs, kosher salt, and a third of the grated parmesan cheese.
- Place the flour and eggs in two additional shallow dishes.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the flour, followed by the egg mixture, then the breadcrumb mixture. You want to shake off any excess flour before coating with eggs. Again, drain excess egg before thoroughly coating in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Cook each piece of chicken for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown.
- In a 9 x 13 inch baking dish begin to layer the dish
- First add half of the tomato sauce, followed by a third of the parmesan cheese
- Layer the chicken on top then cover it with another half of tomato sauce and a third of the parmesan cheese
- Cover everything with the fresh mozzarella followed by a layer of fresh basil
- Lastly, top each piece of chicken with one piece of provolone cheese
- Place baking dish in the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes or until internal temperature of chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- I like to serve Chicken Parmesan over linguine tossed with olive oil
- Category: Mains
- Method: Sauté/Bake
- Cuisine: Italian-Amerian
Keywords: chicken, tomato sauce, chicken parmesan