Spicy green chili is loaded with roasted chile peppers and tomatillos. This wonderfully flavorful chili is medium to medium hot. Serve it over white rice for a bowl of pure fire (in the best way)!
- 2.5 lbs. pork shoulder, cut into bite sized cubes
- 1 onion, cut into eighths (quarter the onion, then halve each quarter)
- 7 tomatillos, husked and halved
- 4 poblano peppers, stems and seeds removed and cut in 1/2 lengthwise
- 4 anaheim chiles, stems and seeds removed and cut in 1/2 lengthwise
- 3 jalapeño peppers, stems and seeds removed and cut in 1/2 lengthwise
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt (divided)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 12 ounce beer (preferably a lager)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 to 8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature.
- fresh cilantro
Marinate the pork
- Season the pork shoulder with 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight.
Prepare the Green Chile
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Toss the onions, tomatillos, poblanos, anaheim chiles, jalapeños and garlic in 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Roast vegetables on a sheet pan in the oven for 20 minutes. Allow to cool while you prepare your pork.
- Remove the fat cap from the pork shoulder and cut the remaining meat into 1 inch pieces. Remove as much fat as possible along the way.
- Heat a large stainless steel pan or cast iron skillet (avoid non-stick) over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sear the pork on all sides until a nice brown crust forms. You will need to complete this step in batches adding more olive oil as needed. You can turn the meat using tongs or just toss it around. Don’t disturb the meat too much as it will need to maintain contact with the hot pan to sear. It doesn’t need to be perfect, just get the best crust you can. This process should take about 8 minutes per batch. The pork will not be cooked through and will finish in the slow cooker.
- Chop your roasted vegetables into bit sized pieces. I cut mine right in the pan.
- Add pork, roasted vegetables, diced tomatoes, beer, chicken bouillon cube, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, chili powder, cumin, and oregano to an instant pot or slow cooker.
- Cook on the HIGH heat slow cook function for 4 to 5 hours or until pork is tender.
- Before serving, stir in the softened cream cheese until it is completely incorporated. It is best to remove some of the hot chili to a bowl, and mix in a small cube of cream. Add this back to the slow cooker and repeat this process until all the cream cheese is incorporated.
- Season to taste with salt if needed.
- Category: Soups
- Method: Slow Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: green chili, chile peppers