The softest, flakiest, most buttery biscuits you have ever tasted. These made-from-scratch buttermilk biscuits are surprisingly easy to make and will make any Southern grandmother proud!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk (fat-free buttermilk)**
- 7 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Whisk dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar) in large mixing bowl.
- Grate butter with the largest shredding holes of a box cheese grater.
- Add grated butter to the flour mixture little by little to avoid clumping, and toss with your hands to evenly distribute.
- Pour buttermilk into the mixing bowl with dry ingredients and stir with a danish dough whisk until all the flour mixture is combined.
- Dust countertop and your hands with flour.
- Transfer biscuit dough to floured surface, dust top of dough with flour and press out to a rectangle with your hands. Rectangle will measure approximately 9.5 x 5.5 inches.
- Fold the dough over onto itself into three sections like an envelope. Press back out to rectangle. Rotate 90 degrees and repeat this process 3 more times (folding like an envelope) Add a little bit of flour to the top and bottom of the dough each time it is pressed into a rectangle.
- Cut biscuits using pizza dough cutter, bench scraper, biscuit cutter, or anything you have!
- Transfer biscuits to sheet pan and place on the middle rack in your oven.
- Bake for 7 minutes, rotate pan, and bake for an additional 6 to 7 minutes (13 to 14 minutes total).
**Ok to substitute whole-milk buttermilk if that is what you have, but believe it or not, making these biscuits with fat-free buttermilk won my blind taste test when comparing the two.
- This recipe makes 8-10 biscuits depending on the size of biscuit. I prefer to make 8 larger biscuits.
- Optional: Brush top of biscuits with melted butter once cooked and before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: buttermilk biscuits, made from scratch, homemade, breakfast