Delicious, buttery made from scratch biscuits. These biscuits are perfectly soft and flaky and so simple to make!
- 2 Cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Cup Buttermilk (whole milk buttermilk)
- 7 Tbsp Butter (frozen, grated)
- Freeze butter for at least 30 minutes*
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees (will decrease temperature to 450 degrees when biscuits are first put in the oven)
- Whisk dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar) in large mixing bowl.
- Grate frozen butter with the largest shredding holes of a box cheese grater.
- Add grated butter to the flour mixture little by little to avoid clumping, and toss with your hands to evenly distribute.
- Pour buttermilk into the mixing bowl with dry ingredients and stir until all the flour mixture is combined.
- Dust countertop with flour and dust your hands with flour.
- Transfer biscuit dough to floured surface, dust top of dough with flour and press out to a rectangle with your hands. Rectangle will measure approximately 9.5 x 5.5 inches.
- Fold the dough over onto itself into three sections like an envelope. Press back out to rectangle. Rotate 90 degrees and repeat this process 3 more times (folding like an envelope) Add a little bit of flour to the top and bottom of the dough each time it is pressed into a rectangle.
- Cut biscuits using pizza dough cutter, bench scraper, biscuit cutter, or anything you have!
- Transfer biscuits to sheet pan.
- Add biscuits to oven and reduce oven temperature to 450 degrees.
- Cook biscuits for 7 minutes, rotate pan, and cook for an additional 7 minutes (14 minutes total).
- Freezing butter – Ok to skip this step if time doesn’t allow freezing the butter – biscuits will still turn out great, but frozen butter is recommended).
- Ok to substitute fat free buttermilk for whole milk buttermilk
- This recipe makes 8-10 biscuits depending on the size of biscuit. I prefer to make 8 larger biscuits.
- Optional: Brush top of biscuits with melted butter once cooked and before serving.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: buttermilk biscuits, made from scratch, homemade, breakfast