The easiest no peel apple butter is made in your instant pot! A smooth, sweet, perfectly spiced apple puree. Spoon apple butter over a warm, buttery biscuit, a bowl of vanilla ice cream or use it to create a fun fall cocktail.
- 5 lbs freshly picked apples
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar (light brown sugar is fine if that is all you have)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- Go to an apple orchard and pick 5 lbs of apples! OK, they don’t actually need to be freshly picked from an orchard, but that definitely makes it way more fun! 🙂
- Core your apples and chop into small chunks. They don’t need to be uniform.
- Add the chopped apples to your instant pot along with the lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Mix the granulated sugar, dark brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom in a mixing bowl.
- Pour this mixture and 1 cup of water over your apples in the instant pot. Stir it all up until thoroughly combined.
- Set you instant pot pressure cook setting to high and let cook for 45 minutes.
- Manually allow the steam to release and transfer the apple mixture to a blender.
- Blend on the highest speed for at least 3 minutes to ensure all the apple peels are broken down.
- Return the apple butter to the instant pot and change the settings to the slow cook function on the high setting. Make sure the lid is set to the venting position to allow some of the steam to escape and cook for an additional 45 minutes. This will help the apple butter thicken.
- Ok to freeze or store in your refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Can be made with a slow cooker if you don’t have an instant pot. Cook on high for at least 6 hours, remove the lid for the last 30 minutes to allow the apple butter to thicken.
- Mason jars filled with apple butter make great inexpensive gifts!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1.5 hours
- Category: Spreads
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple butter, instant pot, no peel