Golden, pan-fried chicken breasts smothered in a rich marsala wine and butter sauce, and served over linguine with sautéed mushrooms. Pure deliciousness.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut lengthwise to a thickness of approximately 1/4 inch*
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup shallots, minced
- 16 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced thick (about 1/2 inch thick)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup marsala wine
- 1/4 cup cooking sherry
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- lemon juice (one squeeze)
- 1 pound linguine pasta cooked according to package directions (don’t forget to salt your pasta water!)
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
Preparing the Chicken
- Add the flour, 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, black pepper, and oregano to a gallon-sized Ziploc bag.**
- Add the chicken breasts to the bag, seal, and shake until each piece of chicken is evenly coated in the flour mixture.
Cooking the Chicken Marsala
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a 12-inch skillet.
- Add the flour-coated chicken and gently cook until one side is golden brown, flip once and continue to cook until the chicken is cooked through. This should take several minutes per side. Use an instant-read thermometer to make sure the final temperature comes to 160 degrees. It will continue to cook and reach 165 as it rests.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and set it aside to rest.
- Add cremini mushrooms, shallots, and 1 teaspoon of kosher salt back to the pan. Sauté over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds stirring continuously
- Add the marsala wine, cooking sherry, chicken stock, and thyme. Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 15 full minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, Remove sprigs of thyme and Swirl in 4 tablespoons of cold butter. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to wake up all those flavors.
- Return the chicken and juices to the pan and turn each piece in the sauce several times to coat it. Cook on low for 3 minutes to warm it through while continuing to flip the chicken to soak up the sauce.
Finish the Dish
- Place the chicken breasts on individual plates. Spoon a bit of sauce over each piece of chicken.
- Toss the linguine in the remaining sauce and plate it alongside the chicken.
- Top with freshly grated parmesan and garnish with fresh thyme if desired.
* You may want to pound the chicken to create more uniform pieces with an even thickness.
** You can make the flour mixture in a bowl or on a plate rather than using the Ziploc if you wish.
*** It is fine to use all marsala wine and leave out the cooking sherry. Just increase the amount of marsala wine to 1 cup.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Pan-Fry
- Cuisine: Italian-American
Keywords: chicken marsala, linguine, mushrooms