Cozy up with a mug of wonderfully rich hot chocolate, infused with cinnamon and cayenne for some extra warmth. This Mexican hot chocolate is sure to heat you right up this winter!
Cocoa Blend (makes enough for 4 batches, 24+ total servings)
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Hot Chocolate (6 servings)
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of cocoa blend (see above)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips/chunks
- whipped cream
- chocolate shavings
- a dash of extra cinnamon
- cinnamon stick
- a drizzle of chocolate syrup
Recipe for Individual serving
- 1 cup 2% or whole milk
- a dash of pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa blend
- 2 tablespoon semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, whisk together the unsweetened cocoa powder, sugar, cinnamon, salt and cayenne pepper. (Store extra cocoa blend in air tight container for hot chocolate any time!)
- In a medium sauce pan over medium low heat, bring the milk to a gentle simmer. (do not boil, it should just gently bubble at the edges).
- Whisk in the vanilla, cocoa blend and semisweet chocolate chips/chunks. Continue to whisk until the powder is well combined and the chocolate chips have completely melted.
- Serve hot with whatever toppings you prefer!
- You can store leftover hot chocolate in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Just be sure to avoid letting it come to a boil when reheating on the stove.
- Category: Drinks
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Seasonal
Keywords: hot chocolate, cinnamon, spicy