These extra lemony, moist poppy seed muffins have crispy edges and a crystalized sugar topping. Every bite is perfectly sweet and completely irresistible! Impossible to eat just one!
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- zest from 1 1/2 large lemons (MUST BE ADDED AT END OF MIXING, SEE INSTRUCTIONS)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (about 1 1/2 large lemons) (MUST BE ADDED AT END OF MIXING, SEE INSTRUCTIONS)
- 1 tablespoon large sugar crystals
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Using non-stick cooking spray or butter, grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, poppy seeds, baking soda, and salt).
- In a large mixing bowl, use a whisk to cream together the melted butter and sugar.
- Add in the eggs one at a time and whisk until fully incorporated, then mix in the vanilla and whole milk.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, adding a little at a time, and mix until everything is just combined and the dry ingredients are evenly coated. Do not overmix!
- As the final step, mix in the lemon zest and lemon juice until fully combined.
- Use a large cookie scoop to fill each cup of your muffin pan. Each cup should be filled about 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle the tops with large sugar crystals.
- Bake in oven on middle rack for 5 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake for 7 more minutes or until the muffins are fully cooked in the center (use a toothpick to test: insert a toothpick into the center of the muffin, it should be completely dry when removed)
- Remove the muffins from oven and place the pan directly on a wire cooling rack for 1-2 minutes or until the muffins are cool enough to handle.
- Using a butter knife or small spatula, remove each muffin from the pan and allow to continue cooling on the rack until ready to eat!
- Remember to add the lemon zest and juice at the very end of the mixing process. Otherwise your muffins will not rise correctly!
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemon, poppy seed, muffins, breakfast, sweet