Instant Pot Cheerwine Pulled Pork
- 3 1/4 pound Boston Butt, trimmed and cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup Cheerwine
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 8 sesame buns
- your favorite prepared coleslaw
- sliced pickles
Prepare the Pulled Pork
- Combine seasonings in a medium size bowl (kosher salt, brown sugar, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, black pepper, ground mustard, paprika).
- Add the pork to your bowl of seasoning, then toss to coat evenly
- Turn instant pot to the high sauté function, add oil, and allow to heat until shimmering.
- Add pork to the hot oil in batches and cook to brown on all sides. As each batch finishes browning, remove the meat to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- When all the meat has been browned, turn off your instant pot and return all the pork and juices to the instant pot.
- Add Cheerwine, distilled white vinegar and water and stir everything to combine.
- Seal the instant pot with lid, turn the vent to the “sealing” position and cook on manual high pressure for 40 minutes.
- Manually release the steam and open instant pot.
- Remove meat with a slotted spoon to a cutting board, and shred it with two forks.
- OPTIONAL STEP: At this point, you can place the meat on a sheet pan under the broiler in your oven for a few minutes to crisp it up.
- Strain the liquid from the instant pot using a fine mesh strainer into a fat separator or other vessel (a large measuring cup works great). If you aren’t using a fat separator, allow the fat to rise to the top and scoop it out. The remaining liquid is your bbq sauce!
- Toast the sesame buns (optional)
- Pile high with instant pot Cheerwine pulled pork
- Add some extra sauce
- Top with coleslaw and sliced pickles
- Even if you plan to use a fat separator for the sauce, I recommend removing the lid (lid has its own strainer but the pores are too large) and straining the sauce directly into the fat separator with a fine mesh strainer. Otherwise, smaller bits of meat and seasoning can sneak in and clog up your fat separator.
- Feel free to sub your favorite dark soda. I imagine these would be delicious with Coca Cola or Dr. Pepper as well!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Mains
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cheerwine, pulled pork, bbq, barbecue, sandwich