This made from scratch creamy, salty, southern-style sausage gravy is pure gold! Smother a homemade biscuit with this delicious gravy, and I promise your heart will be happy. It is too easy not to give it a try.
- In a non-stick pan, break up the sausage and cook over medium low heat until it is nicely browned.
- Add butter and stir until the butter melts and coats the sausage.
- Add the flour and stir to coat the sausage. Cook, continuing to stir for about one minute.
- Pour in your milk and bring your gravy to a simmer.
- Gently simmer the gravy for several minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and continue simmering until you reach the desired consistency.
- If your gravy becomes too thick, just add a little milk to thin it out. You may need to adjust the seasoning a little with each addition of milk.
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt is a good place to start. You can add 1/2 teaspoon at a time until the gravy is properly seasoned.
- You can use white pepper if you don’t want the black bits of pepper in your white gravy.
- Category: Gravy
- Method: Stove-top
- Cuisine: Southern
Keywords: sausage, gravy, homemade