These healthy banana oat muffins are rich in nutrients and packed with a variety of superfoods including oats, Greek yogurt, whole grains, and walnuts. They are moist and delicious and make for a perfect everyday, quick nutritious breakfast on the go that will leave you feeling full.
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats, soaked in 2/3 cup 2% milk for 30 minutes
- 2 cups ripe banana, smashed (about 4 bananas)
- 1/4 cup full fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and generously grease a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. (avoid muffin/cupcake liners).
- Combine all wet ingredients in a large mixing bowl adding the egg + yolk last to avoid overmixing. Prior to adding the egg, be sure to mix very well as the Greek yogurt tends to clump up. You can also use a stand mixer with the paddle attachment if you prefer.
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and thoroughly combine with a whisk or large spatula.
- Stir in chopped walnuts and flaxseed.
- Use a large cookie scoop to fill each muffin cup with batter and sprinkle the tops with chopped walnuts.
- Bake muffins on middle oven rack for 20 minutes or until cooked through. You can insert a toothpick into the center of a muffin to test for doneness. It should be dry when removed.
- Remove pan from oven and transfer the muffins to a wire rack for cooling.
- Feel free to add more flaxseed to boost the fiber content in these muffins
- Make sure your bananas are ripe to maximize their natural sweetness!
- Avoid using muffin/cupcake liners as these muffins will stick due to their lack of oil/butter.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: banana, nut, oats, healthy, muffins