These soft and chewy ginger molasses cookies are the perfect holiday treat! So flavorful and easy to make, they a sure to be a new family favorite.
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature for 1 hour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar + additional sugar for rolling
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room tempearature
Preparing the cookie dough:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, ginger, baking soda, corn starch, cinnamon, cloves, salt, all spice).
- In a separate mixing bowl using a hand mixer, or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the softened butter and sugars on medium high speed for 2-3 minutes until light and creamy.
- Reduce the mixer speed to medium and mix the molasses and vanilla into the creamed butter.
- Add the eggs one at a time until fully incorporated.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients a little at a time until completely combined.
- Cover and refrigerate dough for at least an hour, but preferably overnight to bake the next day.
On baking day:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator, and set out on the counter for at least 30 minutes and until the dough can be scooped easily.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to form balls, then roll them in your hand to make them more uniform.
- Add granulated sugar to a small bowl, then roll each ball in the sugar until completely covered.
- Place cookies on a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper spaced 2 to 3 inches apart.
- Gently press down on the top of each cookie ball with your palm to flatten slightly before baking.
- Bake for 11 to 12 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool on pan for several minutes, then transfer to wire cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Store in an air tight container at room temperature for up to one week.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Holiday
Keywords: ginger, molasses, cookies, soft, chewy