This rich and creamy soup is deeply flavorful like all the best classic tomato soup recipes, but offers a little something more! Sweet and smoky roasted red peppers are added for an extra layer of flavor, and it is so so easy to make!
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced
- 1 celery stick, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup jarred roasted red peppers, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2–28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes (San Marzano or Muir Glen)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese plus more for serving
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add onion, celery, and 1 teaspoon of kosher salt and cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add roasted red peppers and garlic and cook for an additional minute continuing to stir.
- Add crushed tomatoes, vegetable stock, heavy cream, remaining 2 teaspoons of kosher salt, sugar, red pepper flakes, and black pepper and stir everything together.
- Increase heat to bring soup to a gentle boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Mix in freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- If desired, Purée the soup with an immersion blender or stand alone blender for a more smooth consistency.
- Serve in soup bowls and top with additional grated cheese and freshly ground black pepper.
- Salt and pepper can be adjusted to taste.
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: tomato, tomatoes, soup, roasted red peppers