Nothing says comfort like a giant, warm bowl of creamy mac and cheese! This instant pot version uses a little flour to create the ultimate thick and cheesy sauce. So good!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 – 16 ounce box dried elbow macaroni
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Texas Pete
- 3 cups freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese (Avoid pre-shredded packaged cheese if you can, buy a block and shred it yourself!)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Select the sauté (normal) function on your instant pot, and add butter. Swirl it around with a large spoon or rubber spatula until it is completely melted.
- Add the flour and stir for 1 minute. Hit Cancel on your instant pot.
- Add the dried elbows, water, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Texas Pete and stir everything together.
- Cover with instant pot lid, lock it, and set the instant pot pressure valve to the “sealing position”; pressure cook on the high manual setting for 5 minutes.
- Manually release the steam and stir everything together.
- Add the shredded cheese one cup at a time along with 1/4 cup of milk, mixing in between additions until all the cheese and milk have been added and your mac and cheese is perfectly creamy and delicious.
- Add additional salt/pepper to taste.
- Use whatever kind of cheese you like here! I love to throw in some habanero cheddar for an extra kick when I’m not making this for my toddler. Anything that melts easily – parmesan, gouda, gruyère are all great. Get fancy with some brie! Pepperjack is delicious, but a little stringy when it melts. Not a problem, just good to know. Throw in a bit of cream cheese when you are looking for something extra rich! When it comes to melty, creamy cheese, you really can’t go wrong.
- Feel free to add an extra touch of milk if needed. Only you know how you best love your mac and cheese! Additional salt and pepper to taste at the end will make for the perfect bowl.
- This mac and cheese has a bite to it. If you want your macaroni super soft, increase the cooking time to 6 minutes
- Category: Sides
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cheese, instant pot, easy, sides, vegetarian, creamy